Does the New 80/20 Content Rule Apply to Educational Publishers?

solving problemsYesterday I read that companies should plan to give up to 80% of their content away for free and generate sales and profits from the remaining 20%. As publishers, that seems an unrealistic metric.

Content is our stock and trade. We've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in developing the best-of-category, and now we should give it away for free?

How is that a viable business model?

Yet more and more companies are allocating larger amounts of their resources each year to this effort as reported by the Content Marketing Institute.

If we focus on building relationships with educators by helping them solve problems with our valuable and free content, the theory is that they will align themselves with us to buy our premium content and services.

There is an amazing amount of free content available to K-12 schools. Every publisher competes with Free.

The goal of content marketing is to differentiate your company from your competitors by sharing the MOST valuable content.

Share without trying to "sell" and you will become their "go-to" resource and after you've earned their trust they will buy your premium products and services.

Earning your community's trust is the first goal. That's the point at which the community will seek you out as a valued partner in helping them solve their problems.

How much content are you willing to share to build your community of trust?

More about content marketing strategy.

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Technorati Tags: , ,

This page as PDF

Submit your review

Create your own review

Average rating:  
 0 reviews

Leave a Reply

Warning: require_once(/home/theteich/public_html/wp-content/plugins/unprintable-blog/noprint/.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/theteich/public_html/wp-content/plugins/unprintable-blog/wp-gcp-pdf.php on line 581

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/theteich/public_html/wp-content/plugins/unprintable-blog/noprint/.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/theteich/public_html/wp-content/plugins/unprintable-blog/wp-gcp-pdf.php on line 581